Editorial on the news of the Day and Review of the Gridlock around the world.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Thompson and Lieberman and Some Bush 41

Having watched almost all of the footage from both conventions thus far, I have to say that other than Sen. Obama's acceptance speech, I was especially moved from the George H.W. Bush montage this evening. I really enjoyed the look on the 41st presidents face when they showed images of him as a young man in west Texas. 


I also enjoyed Fred Thompson's speech about Sen. McCain, it was interesting to learn what happened to that crazy old codger in Vietnam. I have to admit that it is fascinating to hear what Sen. McCain went through in that pit of hell and how he became the man he is today. I have more respect for him today than I ever had, but I don't trust him with a red-button, or Gov. Palin for that mater. 

And then Joe Lieberman took the microphone...

If there is still anyone out there who thinks of Joe Lieberman as a Democrat or Independent, has probably got some sort of wool over the eyes issues. Honestly, it felt like "I want to be Secretary of Something cronyism" to me. 

Overall, I think that the speeches were effective for the moment. The GOP has a product that is difficult to sell right now, so they are trying to change up their merchandising. I like their idea about focusing on a heroic candidate and uniting behind specific social issues. This will be the strong point for the GOP, this should help to solidify their base.

 When the Republicans give you a lemon, you make lemonade.  

No comments: