Editorial on the news of the Day and Review of the Gridlock around the world.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Is Lou Dobbs Reading My Blog?

On Monday I wrote an article in this blog titled 'Bush Rallies Support for Democrats in 2006'. The article pointed out two things:

First, Bush is helping Democrats more than he's helping Republicans.

Second, the President and Congress should have more important things to do.

Bush is trying to rouse the Christian Coalition to strengthen his his own base. Democrats fighting for equal rights for everyone despite their sexuality feel like their getting their base pushed by bringing this topic to the front page.

The end result is that the President of the United States is riding on the back of Congress and offering a Presidential Reach Around. He's getting his cookies off and stirring up his base, the Republican Congress has to go against their principles of leaving the constitution alone in favor of making the religious portion of their base happy, and Democrats are receiving the hand job from the president, which allows them to point out just how creepy he is to their own factions.

So my personal thoughts were that Bush is probably helping his political opponents more than he is helping his own party. My main point was that Bush and Congress should both have much more important things to worry about.

In my article and email to the Senators, I identified the following items as being more important than the topic of gay marriage v. gay marriage bans:

The current Ayatollah is threatening to shut off oil from Iran - Oil Prices lurched up again
Iraq War
Terrorism
Oil fiascos
Natural Disaster Preparedness
Economy
etc

Gay marriage or Gay marriage bans are important to some people (not all), however for most people the importance of Gay Marriage or a Gay marriage ban doesn't even make the top 10 or even top 50 issues confronting our country today.

I wrote letters to Senator Saxby Chambliss and Senator John McCain expressing my concern that they and their fellow congressmen and congresswomen were wasting their time with a low priority topic.

Neither Senator lists the category of Gay marriage or gay marriage ban as an issue of concern in their drop down categories for submitting emails to them from their website, so it must not be that important to them either. Note Senator Chambliss responded with an email where he makes it clear that it is and has been very important to him for many years now. Read his response here.

So today, Lou Dobbs writes an article for CNN.com - Dobbs: Gay marriage amendment sheer nonsense - Jun 7, 2006.

Lou points out that there are more important things for politicians to focus on than gay marriage bans,

War
Oil
jobs
economy
out of wedlock births

These are basically the same things I said two days ago minus the out-of-wedlock births and single parents(I copped with an 'etc.' and lumped jobs in with the economy.) I don't have an editorial staff to chime in with some good extra points.

So I have to wonder is Lou Dobbs Reading My Blog?

Well, I don't need to stroke my own ego like a politician would, so I'm going to say that, while it is possible, its much more likely that Lou was able to cut through the crap and see the type of farce that the President in his one night stand with Congress is throwing in our face.

If its obvious to me, and obvious to Lou, and we've both written about it and no doubt Lou will talk about it on the news, and I haven't watched my TIVO of The Daily Show yet, but I'm sure John Stewart will chime in here and show that its obvious to him, Then I'm positive that the rest of the country is thinking, 'What did we really elect this bunch of idiots into office or are they all just smoking crack and hiding like little kids avoiding their chores.'

This has got to be one of the most worthless examples of Government in Action that I've seen in my lifetime. I suspect that Senators in Rome may have debated a gay marriage ban while Rome was burning 1600 years ago.

1 comment:

Skanky Jane said...

Gay Marriage/civil union is in the papers here in Oz too - interesting because that has happened before - during our 2004 election the US and OZ were simultaneously banging on about Gay Marriage. It's wedge politics. Mr Howard (that's our PM) is stoking a debate about nuclear power here (we have lots of uranium) and says that he thinks public opinion about nuclear power has changed since the 50's, 60's and 70's.

He just doen't seem to have noticed that public opinion about gay marriage has changed a bit since then too.