Editorial on the news of the Day and Review of the Gridlock around the world.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Senator Saxby Chambliss' Response to my Letter

I wrote an email to my Senator Saxby Chambliss and a similar copy of the letter to Senator John McCain. (Original email in my article Bush Rallies Support for Democrats in 2006)

Below is the response I received from Senator Chambliss. The response was quick, but I would not agree with the message.

June 6, 2006



Mr. Brett Bumeter
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Dear Mr. Bumeter:
Thank you for contacting me regarding S. J. Res. 1, the "Marriage Protection Amendment." I appreciate hearing from you.
In 1996, I co-sponsored the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which provided that each state could determine whether or not to recognize same-sex marriages, and that states were not bound by the decisions made by other states on this issue. The DOMA overwhelmingly passed both the House of Representatives and the Senate and was signed into law by President Clinton. However, recent rulings by activist courts are forcing Congress to take another look at this issue.
I support a constitutional amendment that defines marriage as between a man and a woman. To make sure that the courts understand and enforce the fundamental principles set forth in the DOMA, I am a cosponsor of S. J. Res. 1, the "Marriage Protection Amendment," which was introduced on January 25, 2005.
This is a critical issue, and you can be sure of my support for this amendment when it comes before the Senate for a vote.
Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. As always, I appreciate hearing from my constituents. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance to you in the future. In the meantime, if you would like to receive timely e-mail alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e- newsletter, please sign up via my web site at:
www.chambliss.senate.gov.



Sincerely,
Saxby Chambliss
United States Senate

No comments: