Editorial on the news of the Day and Review of the Gridlock around the world.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Obama Defends His Church and Pastor 'God Damn America' Sermon

Barack Obama's mentor, pastor and member of his campaign's religious advisory council could be pushing Barack Obama off the deep end. 

Obama has attended his church for over 20 years, was married by Jeremiah Wright and even credits the pastor for the title of one of his books.  Yet Obama was slow to denounce Wrights support for Louis Farakhan.  He has also been very slow to denounce sermons like those featured in this ABC News report where Wright calls for the God (to) Damn America and says that African Americans should not sing God Bless America but instead God Damn America.

Obama's response

I don't think my church is actually particularly controversial.

Wright is like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with.

From my perspective, if I had an old uncle that said things like that I'd be able to say that I have a bigot for an uncle and I sure wouldn't seek religious guidance from the person.  Besides you can't choose your family, but you can choose your pastor and your church.  Obama may have made the right choice on the Iraq War resolution, but he seems to have fallen far short in choosing a church and a pastor every Sunday these last twenty years.

I wouldn't trust this guy to sell me a used Jobox on Ebay let alone guide me, my campaign or my children for that matter.

No comments: